Two popular hiking routes have been offered by the Swannanoa Valley Museum. These hikes are educational for native residents seeking a connection to their ancestors and newcomers interested in learning about the region’s history. Each hike is approximately three miles long, and is supervised by an experienced guide. This was the most memorable vacation I have ever experienced.
You still have options if you are looking at the forecast and dreading your adventure! Out of respect for your guide’s time,cancellations between 0-72 hrs prior to your experience are non-refundable. If you’re concerned about pacing or are a beginner hiker, no need to worry!
Participants register in advance and meet at the Museum (223 W. State St. Black Mountain) to depart at 8 AM. Veteran hikers lead the hikes and share their knowledge about history, topography, ownership, and other aspects of the land. Each hike ranges from three to eight miles over elevations ranging from 2,316 to 6,462 feet. Many of these hikes are strenuous, so they are best for experienced hikers.
We also have a 24-hour on-call line that our staff, guests, and family members of guests can call any time to speak with a company representative. Our commitment is to hire and train the best Appalachian hiking and backpacking guides in the industry. We require people skills as well as technical competence and credentials.
You are responsible to get yourself to/from trailhead. It is important to note that, while an Uber/Lyft may bring you to the trail, they will NOT pick you up from the trail head.
We recommend contacting AVL Ride if you don’t have transportation. The team there is familiar with the trailhead and will pre-arrange round trip transportation for some of the most reasonable rates in town.
- If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- These hiking tours are highly recommended for anyone visiting Asheville.
- Each hike, led by an experienced guide, is approximately three miles long over moderate terrain.
- We are glad you enjoyed the experience and it was a pleasure meeting you.
- That and their amazing waterfalls, plentiful wildlife, stunning views, and wonderful natural and cultural history.